Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Companion, Elder Robertson


How is everything going? I hope that it's going well. Things are going great for me. I am really loving the work. My trainer Elder S just went home. He was a good guy and I learned a lot from him. My new companion is named Elder R. He is such a cool guy! I am definitely looking forward to working with him, we are going to get so much done together. He is an amazingly happy, optimistic person and an awesome missionary. He's from Northern California, a town called Oroville, and he's been out for 20 months. He was just a zone leader in Wilmington, so that might tell you a little bit about the kind of missionary he is. I'm glad to have him as my companion.

Well, I'm getting sick of writing two different accounts of the work every week, so I've decided to start including a portion of my letter to the mission president.
"Well, there have been a lot of good things going on. Elder R had a good conversation with Michael S on the way back from Raleigh. We are teaching his girlfriend, Tiffany; they are both really awesome people. They aren't living the law of chastity, they were in Vegas this weekend, though, and they may have got married. I do not know. If they aren't married, we are planning on working with them to set goals and determine whether they will get married or get separate apartments. She wants Michael to baptize her, which may take a while. We will see, but it will probably be best if somebody else baptizes her and they work together to get worthy to go to the temple.

We also taught Mike P. He's a really cool guy in a part-member family. When Elder S and I had last been there we had left him with a commitment to read 3 Nephi 11 with his family. He didn't do it, which was pretty disappointing. We did end up reading the chapter with them, though, and the Spirit was definitely there. He committed to read 2 Nephi 32, I'm pretty sure he will actually do it this time though. We also committed his family to start studying scriptures together as a family, which will of course be good for all of them.

We also saw Hunter this week. It looks as though he is going to be baptized in December, so we're going to continue working with him so that he will be ready and excited for it. We would also love to see his excommunicated mom get back into it, since we've been coming over and teaching him she's had a little bit more light enter into her life. We also committed them to start doing family prayer.

Then last but not least, we had a really good visit with Brian & Caitlin last night. Caitlin is a less-active member and they are not married, but they have two kids. Brian's been having trouble finding work, but it looks like he might get hired on as a prison guard. He would have good benefits and it will eliminate the excuse of financial insecurity as a reason that they aren't married. Anyways, we talked with him about running 3 mornings a week, and we got onto the subject of him smoking. We talked about the stop-smoking program, and also about how the gospel can bless his life. We invited him to take the lessons, and he accepted! We're pretty excited to work with him, and he's already been getting some great fellowship from the ward."

So that's pretty much what has been going on with the work...I love being a missionary out here and there are great rewards that come from being bold and consistent in missionary work. I also know that the gospel will bless our lives if we don't harden our hearts against it. I can testify of that, I've seen many amazing changes in my life over the last 10 months. Prayer is a powerful tool if we allow it to be, and I'm grateful for it and the other blessings that I have received.
Well, keep me posted on anything interesting that's happened at home. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment